Thursday, May 16, 2013

Review: Pet Peeves

Having a 'pet peeve' is code for 'I am a mean, backhanded person who can only communicate through passive-aggressive snideness and subtle acts of hostility'.

Because really, does it bother you SO MUCH when other people make noises or dress a certain way or engage in behaviors that do not affect you at all? Does it actually, really bother you?


Let's say, for example, that you really really hate ballet flats. That is a shoe style that's popular these days. It's like a ballet shoe, except it's not actually made for doing ballet. Why would other people's shoes bother you? No one's forcing you to wear them. In fact, you don't even need to look at other people's feet. Unless they're in your house and walking on your floors, why in the world do you care? Is your head so empty of interesting thoughts that you have to fill it with criticism of other people?

I actually heard a guy on the radio the other day complaining about how gross and unattractive it is when girls wear ballet flats. You know what I find unattractive? That guy. I could tell by his voice that he was a snobster and was thus unattractive.

Point of contention: it is entirely normal to not like things. It's okay to think something that someone does is annoying, or to have a weird thing about ballet flats or whatever. But when you label something as a 'pet peeve' instead of just saying 'I don't like that', you make it sound like everyone else is so gross and weird and you are perfect and never do anything that bothers anyone ever. Other people are not the issue. People wear ballet flats. People sneeze and crack their fingers and make odd sounds. That is normal. The only person with the issue is you.

This is why:

Let's say that I really don't like when people clear their throats. Maybe it grosses me out or something. I don't know, this is a hypothetical situation.

But let's say that I'm telling someone about this. If I say, "My biggest pet peeve is when people clear their throats," it puts all the blame on other people. It makes the person you're talking to feel ashamed for all the times that they've cleared their throat. It is snobby and not nice.

But instead, let's say you tell your friend, "I have this weird thing about people clearing their throats. It grosses me out for some reason, I don't know why. I'm weird," and then you both laugh at how weird you are because you know what? Your weirdness makes you awesome. You should embrace it and laugh at how silly it is that clearing throats grosses you out, because YOU'RE weird! Not other people!

So next time someone sneezes on you, don't tell your friends that your pet peeve is when someone sneezes on you. Tell them that it is fucking disgusting when someone sneezes on you. It's not a peeve, it's just gross. End of story.

No comments:

Post a Comment